Norway's BW Energy to seek partners in Namibia play

Norway’s BW Energy to seek partners in Namibia play

WINDHOEK, February 29, 2024 – Norway’s BW Energy plans a drilling campaign at its Kudu discovery offshore Namibia and will open a data room later this year to seek new partners in the project, Upstream Online reported on Thursday.

The 36.8-bcm (1.3-tcf) Kudu discovery lies in the Orange Basin, 130 kilometres off the southwest coast of Namibia. It is situated in the 5,000-square kilometre Greater Kudu area, operated by BW Energy (95%), with state player Namcor holding the remaining 5%.


Upstream cited CEO Lin Garner Espey as saying  BW Energy is “quite excited” about the results of a 4,600-square-kilometre 3D-seismic campaign conducted last year. In light of these results, the company has decided to begin ordering long-lead items for an exploration campaign.

The company plans to develop the play as a gas-to-power project, supplying electricity to Africa’s growing market.

BW Energy is an oil and gas E&P player that holds majority interests in three hydrocarbons licences in Gabon, Brazil and Namibia.

Read our latest insights on: