Gabriel Mbaga Obiang Lima

Ophir Energy inks new Eq Guinea deal

MALABO, October 17, 2017 – Ophir Energy signed an MoU with GEPetrol and the Ministry of Mines and Hydrocarbons of Equatorial Guinea for Block EG-24, the company announced Tuesday. 


Under the deal, which is set to be followed by a PSC, Ophir will operate the block with an 80% stake. GEPetrol will hold the remaining 20% and have the option to increase this share to 30% if a commercial discovery is made. The company will have an initial exploration period with two two-year segments and two one-year extensions. Ophir has agreed to purchase the 2D- and 3D-seismic data that has already been collected for most of the block as well as obtain an additional 3,000 square kilometres of 3D seismic. If a commercial discovery is made, the development and production rights will last 25 years with a five-year extension.

“Ophir Energy is already an innovative and committed investor in Equatorial Guinea through Block R and the Fortuna FLNG project. We are delighted to welcome our partners to explore Block EG-24, which shows amazing signs of yielding enormous oil and gas reserves,” Minister of Mines and Hydrocarbons Gabriel Mbaga Obiang Lima said in a press statement. “This new deal is a vote of confidence in the oil and gas sector in Equatorial Guinea and the result of a very well received global licensing round for a country like ours that has a drilling success rate above worldwide average. I look forward to Ophir’s next drilling campaign and a possible discovery.” 

The block was awarded in June 2017, as part of the Ronda 2016 licensing round. The PSCs are expected to be ratified by the end of 2017.

Read our latest insights on: