Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant

Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant first provided power to the UAE national grid in August 2020.

in figures

Generation capacity of each reactor:1.4 GW

Share of the UAE's electricity demand to be supplied at completion:25%

Effective reduction in carbon emissions due to new plant:21 million tonnes per year

Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant

March 24, 2021

The Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant is located in Al Dhafra in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, around 53 kilometres west-southwest of the city of Ruwais. Since the launch of its operations in 2020, the Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant has been delivering safe, clean and reliable electricity to the UAE grid.

PROGRESS: Having been connected to the UAE’s transmission grid in August 2020, units 1 and 2 of the plant are completed. As of September 2020, the construction of units 3 and 4 stood at 93% and 87%, respectively.

Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant Timeline
Timeline of construction

JOINT VENTURE:

In October 2016, ENEC and KEPCO signed a JV agreement for a long-term partnership and co-operation on the UAE’s Peaceful Nuclear Energy Programme. With the signing, two new companies were established:

> Barakah One Company is an independent subsidiary owned by both companies which represents the commercial and financial interests of the Barakah project. ENEC is the majority owner with an 82% stake, while KEPCO holds the remaining 18%.

Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant Organogram
Joint venture organogram

> Nawah Energy Company is a subsidiary of ENEC and is mandated to operate and maintain Barakah’s units. KEPCO has an 18% stake, while ENEC holds 82%.

KEY FACTS: 

> Installed capacity: The plant consists of four identical APR1400 reactors housed in four separate units, with a total power generation capacity of up to 5.6 GW.

 

> Demand: Will supply up to 25% of the UAE’s electricity needs once fully operational.

> Milestone: The Barakah plant is the first nuclear energy station to be constructed in the Arab world.

> Carbon footprint: The plant will eliminate the release of 21 million tonnes of carbon emissions per year, equivalent to removing 3.2 million cars from the roads.

> Clean energy: The Barakah plant is the largest source of clean baseload electricity in the country.

Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant Map
Map of the plant

ABOUT THE REACTORS:

Model: APR1400 nuclear reactors

Reactor design: APR1400 is a pressurised-water reactor designed by KEPCO

Power capacity: Each reactor can generate up to 1.4 GW of electricity

SOURCE: ENEC

Stay Informed