Khazzan gas processing to begin September

MUSCAT, July 11, 2017 – Oman will begin processing output from the giant Khazzan gasfield in September, Undersecretary of Oil and Gas H.E. Salim Bin Nasser Al Aufi said on Monday.

Production at the field is scheduled to start in Q4 2017, when operator BP says first-phase output will begin at 28.3 mcm (1 bcf) per day.


The Oman News Agency quoted Al Aufi as saying the gas processing plant’s first train, with a capacity of 14.2 mcm (500 mcf) per day, would come on stream in early September.

The plant’s second train, which has a similar capacity, is expected to be operational early next year.

The Khazzan field is being developed together with the Makarem field in Block 61, which represents the largest accumulation of tight gas discovered in the Middle East, holding around 2.83 tcm (100 tcf) of gas.

The block is operated by BP, with a 60% stake, while Oman Oil Company Exploration and Production holds the remaining 40%.

Read our latest insights on: