PetroRabigh pushes back completion date
RIYADH, September 29, 2016 – Saudi Arabia’s PetroRabigh, a petrochemicals joint venture between Saudi Aramco and Sumitomo Chemical of Japan, said on Thursday that it would once more delay its phase two expansion project.
The completion date for the USD 9.1-billion project, which will see the expansion of an existing ethane cracker and the addition of a new aromatics complex, will be pushed to Q2 2017. Once completed, PetroRabigh’s aromatics complex will have yearly naphtha processing capacity of 2.7 million tonnes.
Originally slated for completion in the first half of 2016, PetroRabigh late last year said completion would be delayed by nine months. Today’s announcement moves it back another six months. The petrochemicals company cited “construction market challenges” as reasons for the delay.