Chevron greenlights Gulf of Mexico project

Chevron greenlights Gulf of Mexico project


SAN RAMON, May 18, 2022 – Chevron Corporation has made its final investment decision on its deepwater Ballymore project in the US’ Gulf of Mexico, the American super-major announced on Tuesday.

The USD 1.6-billion project will be located in the Mississippi Canyon area, 260 kilometres from New Orleans. The project has a design capacity of 75,000 bopd. The play is expected to hold more than 150 million boe of recoverable reserves.


The project’s three production wells will sit in water depths of around 2,000 metres and tie back to Chevron’s existing Blind Faith platform via one flowline.

First oil is expected in 2025.

Chevron holds a 60% operating stake in the project, with TotalEnergies holding the remaining 40% interest.

Read our latest insights on: