Mexico gives thumbs up to develop offshore Trion field

Mexico gives thumbs up to develop offshore Trion field

MEXICO CITY, August 30, 2023 – The Trion oilfield development plan proposed by Woodside Energy has been approved by the Mexican authorities, the Australian energy player announced on Wednesday.

The USD 7.2-billion project will involve an FPU with a production capacity of 100,000 bopd connected to an FSO vessel with a capacity of 950,000 bopd.

Up to 24 wells are planned in the project’s life cycle, with 18 planned in the initial phase, including nine production wells, seven water injection wells and two gas injection wells.

Unused gas will be transported to the domestic gas pipeline network via a subsea gas pipeline.

First oil is expected in 2028.


The field is expected to contain proven and probable reserves of 479 million boe.

Woodside Energy has signed the following deals linked to development of the field: an EPC contract for the FPU with Hyundai Heavy Industries; a rig contract with TransOcean; a contract for installation of the FPU and FSO with SBM Offshore; and a contract to build and install subsea trees with OneSubsea UK.

The company made its FID on the project in June 2023.

Woodside Energy acquired the play through its merger with fellow Australian independent BHP Group’s oil and gas vertical in June 2022.

The Trion field is located around 180 kilometres from the Mexican coastline in water depths of around 2,500 metres.

Woodside Energy holds a 60% operating stake in the field, with Pemex holding the remaining 40% stake.

Read our latest insights on: