BP to employ ROVs at Egypt’s West Nile Delta project

BP to employ ROVs at Egypt’s West Nile Delta project

CAIRO, January 10, 2024 – BP has signed a three-year contract with DeepTech for the use of rig support ROVs at the energy giant’s West Nile Delta project offshore Egypt, the deepwater services and intervention specialist company announced on Tuesday.

The deal involves the use of two working-class ROVs that will support drilling, completion and subsea activities.

One of the assets is to be installed on a deepwater drillship and the other on a platform supply vessel.

The contract includes an extension option, although the exact length was not disclosed.

 

“The drilling activities will be supported from our Alexandria shore base and will significantly contribute to local content and energy security and supply in the region,” said Ahmed Soliman, managing director of oil services of DeepTech.

“We are delighted to catapult what we hope will be a long-standing and successful relationship with BP.”

The USD 9-billion West Nile Delta project includes 25 wells across five gasfields connected to an onshore processing facility by three long-distance tie-backs.

Located within the North Alexandria and West Mediterranean Deepwater concessions around 65-85 kilometres from Alexandria, the development is headed by BP with an 82.75% stake alongside its partner Wintershall Dea with the remaining 17.25% stake.

In December 2023, DeepTech announced it had grown it fleet to 26 vehicles with the addition of three new working-class ROVs.

DeepTech commissioned a 3,600-square-metre extension to its Cairo facility in 2020 that includes a testing pool and crane.

Read our latest insights on: