Stuck pipe leads to plugging of AMT-1 well

JAKARTA, January 20, 2017 – Operator Renco Elang Energy and JV partner Lion Energy have been forced to complete their Amana Timur-1 discovery well due to a stuck drill pipe, the companies announced on Friday.

The well, located in the South Block PSC in Indonesia’s North Sumatra Basin, was plugged and abandoned at a depth of 347 metres after recovery of the pipe proved unattainable.

The well had previously encountered gas from the 700 sandstone interval at 336 metres to 374 metres. The joint venture plans to continue in its appraisal of the prospect with the help of the Indonesian regulator. The appraisal would focus on the deeper 800 and 900 sandstone objectives.


“Whilst Lion is clearly disappointed that we were unable to evaluate and test all objective intervals in AMT-1, further appraisal and testing is planned. The decision to plug and abandon the well was a prudent one as it become apparent we would be unable to free the stuck pipe and it was important to ensure interpreted hydrocarbon zones were isolated,” Lion CEO Kim Morrison said in a press release.

Renco holds a 59.3% operating interest in the PSC, with Lion holding the remaining 40.7%.

In other news, BP has reportedly approached Petrosea, Altus Logistics Services Indonesia, Cipta Krida Bahari and Eastern Logistics for the construction of a new logistics base. The facility will serve the Tangguh LNG expansion project.

The company on January 17 also re-tendered a geotechnical survey, which will underpin BP’s dredging and drilling work in the WD-9 formation.

Read our latest insights on: